Saturday, July 14, 2012

Homemade Bathtub Crayons

Today I made homemade bathtub crayons for Madeline.  I admit it - I'm a TOTAL Pinterest junkie!!  Here's what I did:

I bought a 32oz. bag of glycerine soap at Hobby Lobby.  It was $9.99, but I used a 40% off coupon so it was $6.00.

I bought this sports bottle ice cube tray on Ebay for $6.98 (with free shipping).

I took 1 bar of the soap and melted it in the microwave for 30 seconds using a Pyrex glass measuring cup.


I bought liquid coloring at Hobby Lobby (right by the soap making supplies).  You get 3 colors (red, yellow, and blue or purple, green, and orange) for $3.29.  These colors do go on sale from time to time for 50% off, so if you live near a store, and can wait to buy your supplies on sale, that's the way to go.  Since I live an hour from the city, I'm really not ahead making a trip all the way to Des Moines just to save  $3.29, so I ended up paying full price for them.


I added 30 drops of color to the melted soap and mixed it well with a spoon.  From the info I'd gathered on Pinterest, it was said that adding more color was better than less so that the crayons show up when they're used in the tub.





Next I poured the colored soap in to my ice cube tray mold.  My mold holds 27 cubes, or crayons in this case, so I just kept doing my process over and over making different colors of crayons until my mold was full.


I put the mold in the freezer so it could solidify.  Next, I took the blue rubber bottom off my mold, and ran hot water over the whole mold to loosen the crayons.  It didn't take long and, Voila! the crayons slid out!


My first time making homemade bathtub crayons was a success!!  Total cost was in the neighborhood of $20 for 27 crayons (compared to $4 for 8 ($.50 each) when you purchase the thin Crayola ones in stores).  Next time, though, since I already have the mold and colors, my cost should be more like $6 for 27 crayons ($.22 cents each) - CONSIDERABLY less than buying in stores!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment